Many users of Lenevo had complained that when they tried to open their built-in camera on their Lenovo Laptop, the camera failed to function. Rather than seeing the image of themselves, what they saw was an image of a cross with a grey background.
The cause of this problem is likely to be a bug with the Lenovo software, where the camera’s privacy mode gets enabled by default. However, there can be more possible reasons, and we are here to help you.
Solution 1: – Check for the lens cover.
Locate your Laptop’s camera; usually, it is on the top of the monitor bezel of your Laptop. Now that you have found the camera check if it comes with a lens cover. The lens cover is a tiny plastic strip, slide it over if it is covering the lens of your Laptop.
Try to start the camera again and check whether the problem has been rectified or not.
Solution 2: – Use your keyboard’s button to enable the camera.
Search for the camera disabled icon on the top part of your keyboard where all the function key resides. This icon is usually found on F8. Press the button and check if your camera turns on or not. However, it may not work because, in order to use the function key, Lenovo Laptops requires you to press the “Fn” key button with the “F8” button.
Solution 3: – Need to enable the Lenovo vantage application.
- Click on the Windows icon to open the Windows start menu.
- In the search bar type “Lenovo Vantage”. Now, under the best match, an app called Lenovo Vantage appears; open it.
- If your Laptop does not have the Lenovo Vantage app, you can install it from the Windows App store or from the official Website of Lenovo.
- After you have started the Lenovo Vantage app, navigate to the top right corner of the window where you will see three small parallel lines. This is the menu icon of the Lenovo Vantage. Click on the menu icon.
- When you have clicked on the menu icon, a row with different options will open. Under the Device section, you will see “My Device Setting”. Click on my My Device Setting.
- A new box will unfold where you will find an option which says “Display and Camera”, click on it.
- Now you need to scroll down until you find the “Camera” option.
- Open it and switch “Camera Privacy Mode” to “OFF” if it is “On”.
These solutions can help you correct the camera issue you are facing with your Lenovo laptop. But if even these solutions did not solve your problem then you can;
Try updating the Lenovo Settings Dependency Package software. What you need to do is go to the official website of Lenovo. Type your Lenovo laptop’s model or click on the “Detect my model” option if you don’t know your model. You will be transferred to a webpage where you will find the option of downloading the “Lenovo Setting Dependency Package software. Download the software and wait for it to finish.
After you have downloaded and installed the software, follow solution number 3 again.
Consider reporting to the Lenovo Support service, if you are still facing the same problem or other.