Are you planning to buy a new phone and wondering how to check if the phone is unlocked or not without a sim card? In today’s world, having an unlocked phone has many benefits. It allows you to use different carriers whenever you want. You can travel abroad and use local SIM cards easily for making calls, sending texts, and surfing the web.
However, checking whether the phone is unlocked or not is not always that simple. It becomes even harder when you don’t have a SIM card to test it with. In this article, we will go through several methods to check whether a phone is unlocked or not without a SIM card. We have included methods for both Android and iOS devices.
Table of Contents
Checking If Android Is Unlocked Without a SIM Card:
There are multiple ways for checking whether an Android device is unlocked. You can do it even without a SIM card. Try using the below methods on your Android device:
Give it a try to below methods:
a. Checking Android Phone Unlock Status via Settings:
- -Open Settings App on your Android device.
- -Find the settings called “System” or “About” from the list.
- -Look for an option called “SIM Status” or “Status” and Tap on it.
- -Now, you will find all the information about your phone’s SIM card status, including whether it is locked or unlocked.
b. Checking If Android Phone Is Unlocked Through Customer Care:
If you could not find the unlock status from the settings of your Android device, you can try contacting your phone’s customer care or the carrier from which you purchased the device. They can easily provide you with information regarding the unlock status of your Android device.
Checking If Your Phone Is Unlocked Using Another SIM Card:
This method includes checking the unlock status of your phone by using a SIM card from a different carrier. Just follow these simple steps:
- a. Remove the SIM card which is already on your device.
- b. Insert a SIM card from a different carrier into your device.
- c. After successfully inserting the new SIM, simply restart your device.
- d. After restarting, your phone will try to detect the new SIM card.
- e. If your phone detects the new SIM card and you are able to make phone calls or access mobile data, it means that your phone is unlocked.
Checking If iPhone Is Unlocked Without a SIM Card:
The way of checking if an iPhone is unlocked without a SIM card is a bit different from Android devices. Try using the below methods on your iPhone:
a. Checking iPhone Unlock Status via Settings:
If you are using an iPhone running iOS 14 or above, follow these steps:
- -Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- -Scroll down and tap on the settings called “General”.
- -Tap on the “About” option.
- -Now, if you find the message called “No SIM Restrictions” next to “Carrier Lock”, your iPhone is unlocked.
For iPhones below iOS 14:
- -Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- -You will find an option called “Mobile Data” or “Cellular” in your settings. Tap on it.
- -Try looking for an option called “Cellular Data Network” or “Mobile Data Network” in it.
- -If you find this option, it means that your iPhone is likely unlocked. iPhones that are locked do not display this setting.
b. Checking If iPhone Is Unlocked through Apple Support:
If you are still confused about your iPhone’s unlock status, you can simply contact Apple Support or your carrier to check whether your iPhone is unlocked or not.
They will just ask for your device’s IMEI number. You can easily find the IMEI number of your iPhone by opening the Settings app. Settings > General > About.
Checking If Phone Is Unlocked Samsung:
If you have a Samsung smartphone and wish to check whether it is unlocked or not, you can try the following method:
a. Checking Samsung Phone Unlock Status via Settings:
- -On your Samsung device, simply open the “Settings” app.
- -Try looking for an option called “About phone” or “About device” in the list. Tap on it.
- -There, you will see an option called ” Status” or “SIM card status”. Tap on it.
- -This will display all the information about your phone’s SIM card status, including whether it is locked or unlocked.
b. Checking Samsung Phone Unlock Status Through Customer Care:
Like Android devices, the unlock status of your Samsung smartphone can also be checked by contacting Samsung’s Customer Support or Carrier.
What Is the Code to Check If the Phone Is Unlocked Without a SIM?
In order to check the unlock status of a phone without a SIM card, there is no universal code. We have phones from different manufacturers and each manufacturer has different models of their phones. Hence, each of them may have different codes or methods to verify the unlock status of the device.
By dialing the code *#06#, you can check the IMEI number of your phone. Some guides will suggest you get the IMEI number of your phone and put it on the IMEI websites to know about the unlock status of your phone. But, it may be risky and we do not suggest you do so. Sharing your IMEI number is not advisable.
It is best to refer to the user manual or directly contact the Customer Support of the manufacturer or carrier to check the unlock status of the device.
We listed some tried and tested methods to determine whether a phone is unlocked without a SIM card. Usually, Android devices provide all the information about the unlock status in their settings menu or by contacting customer care. In the same way, iPhone users can also check it from the settings menu or by contacting Apple Support. Whenever you are unsure about the unlock status of your device, it is best to contact the manufacturer or carrier for the most accurate information.